Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Do not be Afraid of Failure

About a week ago, I was informed that I will be one of the speakers of a writing workshop cum screening of our college magazine. Although it is no formal gig, I was excited and worried at the same time. I wanted to do it that's why I did not have any second thoughts about accepting the invitation. It is a very important publication for me. I was a part of it for all my college years. Another major thing that worried me was having out adviser there.

I went on with my writing gigs and before I knew it, it was two days before the workshop. I crammed. I searched for materials. I must admit that Slideshare helped me a lot. Here are some tips that would help if you are preparing to be a speaker coming from a newbie, a first timer at that.

Before the workshop:

1. Prepare your mind. You need to know what you should be talking about. You need to assess your knowledge and skills about the subject matter. If you are an expert on the topic, that's good. If you're not, accept the fact honestly and research, research, research, until you have something special to share to the participants.

2. Gather materials. You can make your own presentation but you need to find sources of information. You need to back up your information with references to make the discussion factual. The usual presentation format is through the use of PowerPoint Presentation. 

3. Juice it. Take away the pulp and get the juice. The juice is the most important details about the topic. Make it concise. You do not need to show everything that you will say on the slides. Make it some sort of an outline that will guide you through your discussion.

4. Choose appropriate materials. Always keep the participants in your mind. Think about their age, their possible interests, and the reason why they are attending the workshop. 

5. Prepare a lot of examples. Participants will understand different pieces of information that you are imparting if you can give concrete examples or examples that the participants can relate to. Refer to #4.

6. Practice. Run your "talk" a few times and try to come up with questions that the participants may ask. Answer the questions.

During the Workshop:

1. Calm down. Trick your heart. Tell it "All is well."

2. Make the participants laugh. Once you've calmed down, find your sense of humor. It is best if the workshop will start with sounds of laughter.

3. Do not be afraid of failure. According to LeBron James, it is the way to success. If you commit mistakes, admit it. Learn to laugh at your own mistakes. You will be full of pride if you are not able to do that. Laugh with the participants. Learn from your mistakes instead of lingering on it.

4. Ask questions. Ask the participants if they have questions. Ask combination of easy and thought-provoking questions. It will give them more things to remember so make it a good memory.

After the Workshop:

1. Leave your e-mail address so the participants can contact you if they have any questions or feedback.

2. Give credit where it is due.

3. Congratulate everyone - including yourself.

Here is the slide that I made. Credits are on the last slide.


Here are some photos taken at the workshop. I love the Aklan Collegian! <3

The participants work on the Feature-writing activity that I prepared as the instructions were explained by the emcees.

Checking the output of the participants

Smiling for the camera

Writing their feature articles

Bonding with Hanie

With AC adviser Mr. Darren Naelgas and AC Editor-in-Chief  Ms. Phama Lea Rarama


No comments:

Post a Comment